It’s time for 10 easy cosplay ideas for girls! In a previous post, I wrote about 10 easy cosplay ideas for guys. Well, now it’s your turn ladies! And believe me; there are definitely popular and easy cosplay characters for you too. Today, that’s what we will be talking about: 10 easy cosplay ideas for girls.
Like the post I made for guys, here are 10 cosplay ideas for girls that are:
- super easy to pull off (i.e. comfortable to wear)
- involve using lots of normal clothing that are easy to get
- cheap to buy if you need it specially made or specific cosplay parts
- popular and recognizable characters
In this article I will post a photo of every character, because you may or may not like that character based on their personality. These are completely different characters so you should be able to choose at least one from here!
So let’s get started on cosplay for girls.
DISCLAIMER: I have some affiliate links in this article if you’re looking to wear any of these cosplays. Either I myself have bought from those stores, or I truly feel they are great deals for a beginner cosplayer. I’ll only post links if I feel the price and quality are of good quality. If you’re buying from these sites, you’re also supporting me and my hobby so I appreciate it!
1. Sakura Haruno from Naruto (first choice for an easy cosplay ideas for girls)
Usually the first cosplay for many people, Sakura is one of the main characters of Naruto. Because the series is insanely popular and one of the most well-known, Sakura is a great choice to start if you’re looking for one of many easy cosplay ideas for beginners.
Who is Sakura: Sakura Haruno was one of the members of Team 7 that included Sasuke, Naruto and Kakashi. Sakura is a polarizing character; some love her to death while others despise the hell out of her (i.e. she’s kind of useless at times). Although to be fair, she’s a lot better in Shippuden. But make no mistake, everyone knows who Sakura is. So she’s a great option for one of those easy cosplay characters.
Alternatives: There are a lot of female characters in Naruto. Some are easier than others, but a perfect alternative to Sakura who is just as easy to cosplay is Hinata Hyuga!
What you’ll need to cosplay Sakura:
- Pink wig – Sakura is a popular character, so you can her character wig anywhere, or get any pink wig and trim to length.
- Red vest – Finding a red vest is going to be moderately difficult at a thrift store. But check out the suit and outerwear section and you’ll probably find something. You may need to cut off the sleeves and remake the neckline to get that turtleneck look. Add a white zipper from your local fabric store like JoAnn’s or Michael’s and you’re all set.
- Pink skirt – If you’re looking for accuracy, it is best to find a tablecloth and make a circle skirt from scratch. However, cosplay is meant to be fun and finding a generic pink skirt may be easier than you thought at the thrift store.
- Knee socks – If you’re looking to grab a pair of cheap knee socks, you can visit your local Ardene’s. They carry socks of all lengths and colours that are sure to fit the aesthetic we’re looking for. Alternatively, you may even find knee socks at other cheap online retailers such as Shein or Romwe.
- Accessories – You can find some black gloves at the dollar store. For the hip pack, you can find either a fanny pack or a small wallet or utility case. Sew on some belt loops if your pocket doesn’t come with one.
- Headband – While you can make your own easily from a piece of fabric and foam, there’s something nice about owning a metal headband from the leaf village. There are a ton of Naruto-themed headbands floating around the internet and you can get your own too on Amazon, ebay, or any other cosplay site.
You can easily pick up most of Sakura’s cosplay materials on your own. But if you rather not bother, then I found on a deal on CosplayShopper where you can get Sakura’s entire outfit (minus the headband) for $41! Click here to check it out!
2. Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion
An iconic series of the 90s, Neon Genesis Evangelion has loads of memorable characters. But one that will always be legendary is Rei Ayanami. You can go for her schoolgirl outfit, or the pilot/spacesuit uniform as well. Both do not require a lot of money to buy or make, so you’ll have an easy time cosplaying Rei!
Who is Rei Ayanami: If you’re looking for a peculiar character to cosplay, then Rei is your best bet. To her peers and classmates, she comes off as a quiet and emotionless. But as the series delves further, Rei is actually integral to the story and develops a strong relationship with the protagonist, Shinji. There’s a reason why she’s so robotic, but that’s what makes her character so unique and special!
Alternatives: You can also go for Asuka, who is like the complete opposite of Rei, but sports a similar look. Asuka’s hair is orange while Rei is blue, so pick one whatever you like!
What you’ll need to cosplay Rei Ayanami:
- Blue wig– A short blue wig can easily be purchased online. Use hair gel or hair wax to spike your wig similar to Rei’s.
- Red ribbon – This calls for a trip to the craft section at the dollar store. In a pinch you can even use a flat shoelace painted red! Just trim off the ends and seal them.
- White tee – Don’t let the sailor collar fool you into thinking this is a complicated cosplay… you can easily make a detachable sailor collar and pin it onto a blank white tee!
- Blue Dress – The easiest way to recreate this dress is to find a full-length maxi dress in the same colour. Trim off the bottom to the desired length and make suspenders with the extra fabric and sew in place. To elevate your costume, you can purchase fabric button bases for about $3-5 at your local fabric store in the notions section.
3. Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop
Faye Valentine is another iconic Anime character from the 90s. Even though Cowboy Bebop is over 2 decades old, many of us still know who Faye is. And she happens to be one of those easy cosplay characters as well!
Who is Faye Valentine: After meeting Spike Spiegel and Jet Black during an encounter, Faye decides to stay on their ship with the crew against their wishes. However, she eventually proves to be a useful ally for them. Faye is a total badass who knows how to get her way! As the series progresses, more of her personality shows as her history and past is revealed. While a skilled fighter herself, Faye has quite the lovable personality.
Alternatives: There aren’t too many notable females in Cowboy Bebop. But you can always go for Edward or Julia, both of which are easy to do as well.
What you’ll need to cosplay Faye Valentine:
- Purple wig– Faye has a very iconic yellow headband and pulled back hair. While it can be difficult to achieve the pulled-back look without a lacefront wig, you can mimic the look by doing a center part like the cosplayer does here. Finding the correct shade of yellow might be difficult, but remember you can always paint or use fabric to cover the headband and get the perfect match.
- Red long sleeve shirt – Try to find a cotton shirt for maximum comfort, but a synthetic shirt will do just as good of a job and may be even more vibrant. Wear the shirt off your shoulders to get the look.
- Matching yellow top and shorts – By far, this is the most challenging part of the costume. If you can’t find a large coat to repurpose, you can try making this outfit from scratch. Try to stay away from broadcloth because it might be too thin for that you’re trying to achieve – pick a cotton or poly blend instead.
4. Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (whew that’s a long name)
Considered one of the best Anime series of the 2000s, Haruhi is a very recognizable character and people will love that you’re showing appreciation for one of the most loved characters of all time. And she’s pretty easy to cosplay as well.
Who is Haruhi Suzumiya: She is an eccentric and lively person who is very interested in aliens and extraterrestrial life. At her high school, Haruhi forms the SOS Brigade out of boredom. Little does she know that she possesses God-like powers that can alter the universe and the world. She is incredibly talented but hardheaded, making her a polarizing character. Cosplay wise, her outfit is very easy to do! All it is a modified high school uniform.
Alternatives: Another outfit from Haruhi Suzumiya is the bunny suit that they wear. Try it out if you feel like cosplaying something more playful.
What you’ll need to cosplay Haruhi Suzumiya:
- Brown wig – Find any generic brown wig and trim the bangs so that they sit just below your eyebrows. Feather the edges by pointing your scissors upwards to make the ends seem more natural and remove some of the bulk. The headband is a must! You can make one yourself by painting a headband the correct colour and gluing two ribbons to the side.
- Sailor outfit – Haruhi’s sailor outfit is commonly found enough that you may want to just purchase it instead of making it – maybe about $50 or so. However, you can make your own for about the same in materials. You’ll need 1y white, 1.5y blue, and 1/2y red fabric and it will take about 6-8 hours from start to finish.
- Shoes – Brown schoolgirl shoes are a cosplay closet staple. If you grab a pair of brown or black loafers, you’ll be able to use them for so many costumes down the line. I always see loafers for sale at Wal-Mart, Brown’s, and other shoe stores.
5. Lucy from Fairy Tail
Lucy Heartfilia is a girl with a ton of confidence and sex appeal, while also being someone that’s kind and caring. She’s easily recognizable from the show Fairy Tail, and you don’t have to do much in order to cosplay as her! She’s definitely one of the easy cosplay characters.
Who is Lucy Heartfilia: One of the main characters of the show, Lucy is part of Team Natsu, which is why she happens to be a popular character and a good choice for a female cosplayer! She’s somewhat similar to Naruto with her stubbornness and never wanting to give up.
Alternatives: Erza Scarlet is another character you can cosplay that’s slightly more difficult to pull off, but very popular!
What you’ll need to cosplay Lucy Heartfelia:
- Blonde wig – Lucy has a little side ponytail that you can easily style on a regular blonde wig instead if you don’t want to buy one with a clip-on ponytail. Gather the hair and tease with a comb to increase the volume.
- White vest – You can find a white zip-up and add the details yourself by topstitching or hand stitching the blue details one. I personally recommend using Wondertape or HeatnBond (with an iron) to ensure the pieces don’t move while you’re stitching.
- Blue skirt – The blue pleated skirt is probably going to be the easiest part of this costume. While my favourite “fashion” brand for pleated skirts is American Apparel, you can easily find pleated skirts online in a myriad of colours and lengths.
- Brown boots – This buy can range depending on the quality of leather or faux leather you want. Don’t worry so much about the heel being completely accurate or the exact height – go for what you feel good in and the style that you like.
- Accessories – You can use a thick twill, canvas, leather, or pleather to make Lucy’s belt and pocket. However, it may be easier to purchase a generic brown belt and make only the pocket. Add little belt loops to the pocket so that you can easily slide it on.
6. Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist is such a great series with emotional and engaging characters. While Edward and Alphonse get all the attention, we cannot forget about Winry Rockbell; the sassy sidekick for these two! Winry wears a tank top with green pants. She’s got that tomboy look that’s easy to pull off for most. Carry a wrench with you and you’ll exactly have the look of Winry Rockbell. Definitely a nice choice if you want an easy cosplay ideas for beginners.
Who is Winry: Born in a family of mechanics, Winry is very knowledgeable in automail and frequently creates parts for the main character Ed. While she doesn’t possess the talented alchemy skills of the protagonists, Winry is just as useful and smart. A true sidekick and a popular character from the series.
Alternatives: Winry is a bit risqué with her tank top, so if you’re not comfortable cosplaying her, there are plenty of other female characters in FMA. Riza Hawkeye is another popular character from FMA. All you have to do is wear her uniform and you’re good to go. Lust is another sexy character that’s easy to do.
What you’ll need to cosplay Winry:
- Wig and bandana – If you’ve cosplayed any other character with long blonde hair, you’re in luck because you can now reuse that wig! Since Winry’s hair is mostly covered with a red bandana (or just a rectangle of fabric), I guarantee you that nobody would even know.
- Black tube top – Wal-Mart, George, Target, Garage, and Joe Fresh are some brands that you can check for tube tops. These are easy to find at malls.
- Capris – Don’t worry about matching the colour exactly to what Winry’s capris are, because the main look here is in the accessories. In fact, the more faded and worn, the better. Winry is a working girl and it’ll probably look more accurate if she’s got stains and rips on her pants.
- Accessories – wrench, gloves, tool belt, and whatever you have lying around in your family garage.
7. Misty from Pokémon
Okay so Pokémon is technically from a video game. But there is an Anime for it and it’s been running for over 20 years now! And let’s face it; while Misty is just a forgettable gym leader in Pokémon Red/Blue, she’s a huge main character in the Anime for the first couple of seasons. This is why she’s an easy cosplay characters for females! All you basically need is a yellow tank top, blue shorts and an orange wig!
Who is Misty: Misty and her 3 other sisters run the Cerulean City gym. However she decides to follow the main character, Ash Ketchum, after his Pikachu destroys her bike. While she is still waiting for him to repay for a new bike, she is quite the companion and helps him along his Pokémon journey. Misty is a kind person but she has quite the temper at times, especially when Ash or her Psyduck get on her nerves!
Alternatives: The beautiful thing about the Pokémon Anime is that most characters wear normal clothing, making them easy to cosplay. If you rather not be Misty, there are other female companions of Ash that you can cosplay, such as Dawn (Gen 4) or Serena (Gen 6). Or if you’re feeling devious, you can cosplay Jesse from Team Rocket (although her long hair/wig will be pretty difficult to pull off correctly). Be sure to bring a James with you if you decide to do Team Rocket!
What you’ll need to cosplay Misty:
- Orange wig – Misty has a little side ponytail that is super easy to replicate with a hair tie. If you’re looking to go the extra mile, you can even use lash glue to position her bangs exactly where you want it to be.
- Yellow top– If you can find something stretchy and form fitting, that would be ideal. Remember that white or light coloured cottons can be dyed with sharpies and fabric dye!
- Shorts – Any pair of jean shorts would do, but I personally recommend getting something high-waist because I personally think it’s more flattering and will elongate your legs.
- Shoes – find a pair of running shoes that have similar or neutral colours.
8. Misa from Death Note
The most memorable girl from Death Note, Misa is another good choice when it comes to easy cosplay character ideas for girls. Sporting a goth-like appearance, Misa is popular and a great choice for an easy cosplay ideas for beginners.
Who is Misa: A famous model from Kyoto, Misa is obsessed with Light and will do anything for him, even if it means shortening her own lifespan in order to be with him. She’s your typical airhead support character who is bubbly and obnoxious! Her style is something similar to gothic, with black sleeves, black shoes and stockings and a black dress. If you do cosplay as Misa, be sure to bring the Death Note book with you.
Alternatives: Not really. There are no other characters like Misa in Death Note. You have no other choices in Death Note!
What you’ll need to cosplay Misa:
- Wig– When styling small ponytails such as Misa’s, I recommend using smaller hair ties. You can purchase a pack of 100 ties at the dollar store.
- Dress – Finding the exact Misa dress is going to be hard, but if you keep an open mind, you can be creative and capture the essence of Misa by repurposing a Harajuku or visual kei styled dress. Be creative and add zippers, lace, ribbons, and studs where appropriate.
- Accessories – You can be creative with the exact choker and fingerless glove design, as long as it’s black. Creating your very own death note won’t be hard either – you can find a silver sharpie and a black notebook for about $2 at the dollar store. Or, buy one online for about $15.
Surprisingly, Misa’s dress can get pretty pricey if you decide to go for leather (real or artificial). I happened to find one site where the fabric is leather close to just 50 bucks! It’s probably not real leather but even fake leather would make the dress stand out. Click to see!
9. Rin Tohsaka from Fate Stay Night
Rin is one of the main characters of the Anime video game Fate Stay Night. Voted one of the best female characters of this decade, you can’t go wrong with Rin since she’s one of the easy cosplay characters for females.
Who is Rin: The archetype of the Tsundere, Rin is initially cold-hearted and takes a serious approach to things. But as the show progresses, she warms up to the people around her. This is what makes her relatable as a character. She is arguably the poster girl of a Tsundere.
Alternatives to Rin: There are tons of Fate characters worth cosplaying. But no one will be as simple as Rin’s outfit. Saber is just as popular as Rin but her dress will require more work (or more money) to pull off.
What you’ll need to cosplay Rin Tohsaka:
- Wig – If you have long hair, a wig is optional! However, most cosplayers choose to wear wigs because it helps achieve the more dramatic effect. You can purchase a Rin wig for about $20-30 online. I like to look for a specific blend of blue and grey instead of a jet black wig because I think her hair has a grey undertone to it.
- Red shirt – Find a red sweater and add the cross design with a grosgrain ribbon to the front with fabric glue or by sewing it down. I have also seen other cosplayers use embroidery or vinyl, depending on the kind of fabric their shirt is made of.
- Skirt – Any generic black skirt will work!
- Thigh-high socks – You might already have a pair lying around, but if you don’t, you can pick up a pair at Ardene’s or online.
10. Umaru-chan from Himouto Umaru-chan
Not much has to be said about Umaru-chan; A cute chibi character who is an easy cosplay for girls!
Who is Umaru-chan: At school, Umaru-chan seems like the typical perfect student with good grades, pretty looks and being skilled at everything. However, once she steps foot inside her home she lives a completely different life. Umaru-chan is actually a lazy character who munches on junk food, plays video games and watches a ton of Anime. She basically becomes Otaku slob! That’s why she’s such a great character to cosplay; being adorable and relatable. And the best part is that she’s so easy to do; wearing that hamster hoodie is so comfortable! Bring some potato chips and a bottle of pop with you while you cosplay her!
Alternatives to Umaru-chan: All the characters look very similar but you have a few options if you don’t want to be the main character. Sylphynford is Umaru’s friendly rival sporting a blue look that’s aesthetically pleasing. Kirie is another option as well. You can also cosplay Umaru’s school version, which is basically a white dress shirt, red ribbon tie and a red skirt. Her hair is a long orange.
What you’ll need to cosplay Umaru-chan:
- Peach wig – Umaru’s wig has a soft peachy tone to it and can easily be found at your favourite online retailer. My favourite wig store is Amazon because they have fast shipping!
- Cape – Believe me when I say that this cape is the whole cosplay. You can purchase one from Amazon for about $20, or you can make your own out of a fluffy orange blanket. Due to how easy these are to find online, I would recommend purchasing one instead of making one from scratch.
- T-shirt – Any blank shirt will work. In fact, you probably already have one lying around. You can purchase few and stockpile them at Costco!
- Pink shorts – Yoga shorts, athletic shorts, or pyjamas are all fair game.
- Red shoes – I would recommend purchasing something comfy that you’ll wear all the time such as Converse low tops, Converse ballet shoes, Vans, or Keds.
Alright, those are 10 easy cosplay ideas for girls. If you for some reason didn’t like any of the characters, here are some…
Easy Cosplay Ideas For Girls…BONUS CHARACTERS!
Anyone from a Sports Anime such as Haikyu!! or Kuruko No Baske – All you have to do is buy the jersey for cheap online, buy a wig for your character and you’re done!
Patricia Thompson from Soul Eater– A popular character from the series, Patricia Thompson is easy to do. All you need is a red top, dark blue shorts, a big white hat and a (fake) pistol!
To sum this all up, here are the 10 easy cosplay characters for females:
- Sakura Haruno from Naruto
- Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop
- Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Lucy from Fairy Tail
- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
- Misty from Pokémon
- Misa from Death Note
- Rin Tohsaka from Fate Stay Night
- Umaru-chan from Himouto Umaru-chan
There we go; 10 easy cosplay ideas for girls.
If you’re interested in more cosplay ideas, here are some of my other posts you’ll enjoy:
I hope you found this post useful. And as always, if you have any questions, leave them in the comments!