DISCLAIMER: During this time, it’s likely advised in your area to not hold any social gatherings. This would include cosplay gatherings and cosplay photoshoots. This post is only meant to give you cosplay ideas for groups for if/when it’s safe to do so. You should follow health guidelines and advice by your local health authority.
Are you looking for some cosplay ideas for groups? Are you just itching to cosplay with your friends once this pandemic is over? Can’t decide which series you guys should cosplay from? Well then, this article is for you.
In this post, I will show you 50+ group cosplay ideas!
What makes a good series for group cosplay ideas?
Honestly, I could have just picked any random Anime or video game series and shoved it into this article. But I want to be a little pickier than that. In my humble opinion, here are my criteria on which series make the list:
i) Wide variety of characters from the series to choose from.
The only problem is those are the only characters generally worth cosplaying. With Madoka, you really only have Madoka, Homura and maybe Mami to cosplay. With Frozen…just Elsa and Anna…maybe Kristoff too. So these series would be disqualified due to the lack of variety of characters to cosplay. While it’s totally fine for you and your friends to cosplay the same character, I’m sure not all of you want to cosplay Elsa or Anna at the same time!
ii) “Somewhat” popular.
These cosplay ideas for groups don’t have to be super popular. But I’m sure it’ll be more fun (and rewarding) if attendees at the con or viewers on social media know who you guys are cosplaying. I get that some of you will want to do obscure group cosplay ideas and that’s okay too. However, the more known the series is, the easier it will be for you guys financially.
iii) Look great together!
Finally, I wanted to choose characters that would go well together in cosplay. Sports Anime and long-lasting video game franchises are wonderful for this.
With that out of the way, let’s get started on cosplay ideas for groups!
There are a lot of wrestling fans that go to cosplay conventions! While I notice there aren’t too many wrestler cosplays in Canada, there is a ton at American conventions. We Canadians have truly different conventions up here. (Check out this post to learn more about the differences between Canadian and American cons). Recently before the pandemic hit, I’ve seen many wrestling cosplays. To the point where they get their own timeslot for group photoshoots at cons!
So whether your favorite wrestler is an older one like Stone Cold Steve Austin, or a current wrestler like Charlotte Flair, you’ll get lots of love if your group ends up cosplaying wrestlers. You can also cosplay wrestling stable/team such as The Shield or DX. And they’re not too difficult to pull off. For example, all you need to cosplay John Cena: colorful shirt and cap, blue jeans shorts and sneakers.
Again, if you guys decide to do a wrestling group cosplay, you probably won’t get as much love in Canada as you would in the U.S. I find you’ll get lots of love for wrestling at convention like Youmacon.
2. Final Fantasy
Arguably the most popular RPG series of all time, Final Fantasy is a great option for cosplay ideas for groups. Almost every character has a great-looking design. With 15 games in the series, you have over 3 decades of FF cosplays to choose from. My personal favorite is Final Fantasy X. You have awesome characters such as Tidus, Yuna, Rikku and Auron…who are great choices for cosplaying.
But by far the most popular will of course be Final Fantasy VII. The first part of the FF7 remake was released last April. So if a convention does happen this year (which probably won’t), you’ll get lots of love if you guys cosplay the FF7 favorites such as Cloud, Aeris and Tifa.
3. Sailor Moon (one of the easier cosplay ideas for groups)
Fighting evil by moonlight. Winning love by daylight.
Did you sing that line when you read it? 🙂
Sailor Moon is one of the most well-known Anime from the 90s. It’s also a great cosplay ideas for groups. Not only do you have a bunch of Sailor Moon characters to choose from, but they look amazing with each other. There’s nothing that catches attention than a group of Sailor Scouts together!
And a bonus is that they’re pretty easy to cosplay. So your group can all cosplay a different Sailor Scout. Or you can mix and match with different characters such as Tuxedo Mask and Queen Beryl. If you want easy cosplay ideas, check out this post here!
4. Love Live! (best dancing cosplay ideas for groups)
The BEST group cosplay ideas Anime! You probably saw this coming, but there’s a reason why Love Live! cosplay groups are so popular. Not only is the series wonderful and adorable, but the show has some of the most memorable songs and dances. Combine that with the easy and very affordable costumes, and you have your reason why Love Live! was a mainstay at cosplay conventions after all these years. It would have been popular at cons this year if not for the pandemic cancelling all of them.
If you and your friends decide to cosplay a Love Live! group, then you can save money by bulk ordering every outfit together. And if you want to learn more about starting your own cosplay dance group, check out this post.
5. Fire Emblem (my favorite cosplay ideas for groups)
I do talk about Fire Emblem a lot on this blog, but for good reason (other than me loving the series). This series is wonderful for cosplaying in general, but even more so as a cosplay group. Not only do you have a variety of characters to choose from just one particular Fire Emblem game (such as Three Houses), but you also have custom outfit ideas like the summer editions of characters as well.
Some of the more popular Fire Emblem characters include: Lucina, Chrom, Marth, Ike, Tharja, Byleth and Edelgard. That’s just scratching the surface, so you’ll never run of cosplay ideas for couples when it comes to Fire Emblem!
6. Super Mario
Mario will always be a prevalent video game series, especially among Nintendo fans. So if your group decides to cosplay from Super Mario, you’ll have no issues with anyone not recognizing you guys…normies included! The nice thing about Super Mario is you have plenty of characters to choose from.
Here are a few you can cosplay: Mario himself, Princess Peach, Rosalina, Bowsette, Wario, Toad and Shy Guy!
7. My Hero Academia
Boku No Hero has been the hottest Shonen Anime for the past few years; it’s got action and a whole cast of lovable characters from the UA School Academy. What this also means is you can make an awesome group with MHA cosplays. You can go for their casual school uniforms. Or you all can cosplay in their full jumpsuit/action suits!
For which MHA characters to cosplay, I have a post dedicated entirely to Boku No Hero characters!
8. Fullmetal Alchemist
Considered one of the greatest Anime of all time, Fullmetal Alchemist is almost 20 years old yet it’s still popular among us Weebs. There are some truly great characters to cosplay from FMA: the protagonists Ed and Al, their sidekicks and allies like Winry and Roy Mustang, antagonists like Lust and Envy. You can also all wear the State Military uniform and go more casual.
Naruto cosplays will always be a staple at cosplay conventions. It’s one of the most popular Shonens of all time, and there are so many memorable characters. You have a handful of cool-looking characters like Naruto, Sasuke, Rock Lee and Kakashi. So your group will have lots of flexibility if you decide to go for a Naruto group.
The Marvel Universe keeps on expanding with new films coming out every year! Therefore, you’ll never have to worry about people not knowing which characters you’re cosplaying from. The most obvious pick would be to choose Marvel characters from The Avengers, X-Men and Captain Marvel, as they are the most well-known at the moment. But you can always go for classic characters too. Check out my article regarding Marvel cosplay ideas!
Even more cosplay ideas for groups and various characters!
I don’t have photos for all of them but if you’d like to send them to me, I’d more than happy to feature you.
- Animal Crossing – Isabelle, Tom Nook, Mr. Resetti, Villager, Pascal
- Attack On Titan – Eren, Levi, Mikasa, Armin, Hange Zoe
- Azur Lane – Mikasa, Ping Hai, Enterprise, Yamashiro, Bismarck
- Black Butler – Sebastian, Ciel, Mey Rin, Grell, Alois
- Borderlands – Brick, Lilith, Mordecai, Roland, Mad Moxxi
- Candy girl ravers!
- Critical Role – Pike Trickfoot, Molly Mauk, Fjord, Caduceus, Ruby of the Sea
- Danganronpa – Kirigiri, Junko, Tokyo, Monokuma, Chiaki
- Demon Slayer – Nezuko, Tanjirou, Giyuu, Shinobu, Sanemi
- Digimon – Tai, Mimi, Sora, Takeru, Daisuke
- Disney princesses – Tiana, Belle, Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella
- Dragonball – Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, Android 17 and 18, Krillen
- Fairy Tail – Lucy, Natsu, Erza, Tenrou, Gray
- Fate – Rin, Saber, Nero, Gilgamesh, Archer
- Free! – Rin, Rei, Haruka, Gou, Hazuki
- Game of Thrones – Arya, Sansa, Daenerys, Jon Snow, Aegon
- Haikyuu – Kenma, Kageyama, Oikawa, Hinata
- Halo – Spartans, Master Chief, Cortana
- Harry Potter – Harry, Hermione, Voldemart, Professor Dumbledore, Snape
- Hetalia – Italy, Germany, UK, US, Hungary
- Homestuck – Rose, Rave, Gamzee, Karket, Aradia
- Inuyasha – Inuyasha, Kagome, Sango, Kikyo, Kohaku
- Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – Jotaro, Joseph, Dio, Jolyne, Josuke
- KDA – Ahri, Akali, Evelynn, Kai’sa
- Kakegurui – Yumeko, Runa, Midari, Kirari, Kaede
- Kill La Kill – Ryuko, Mako, Satsuki, Nonon, Houka
- Kingdom Hearts – Sora, Kairi, Riku, Aqua, Xemnas
- Kuruko No Baske – Hyuuga, Tetsuya, Taiga, Satoshi
- League of Legends – Jinx, Ashe, Ezreal, Miss Fortune, Lulu
- Mortal Kombat – Kano, Liu Kang, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya
- One Piece – Luffy, Nami, Roronoa, Nico, Ace
- Ouran Host Club – Kyoya, Tamaki, Haruhi, Renge (can use my old photo)
- Overwatch – Tracer, Dva, Mercy, Widowmaker, Soldier 76
- Persona – Joker/Protagonist, Ann, Makoto, Ruji, Futaba
- Pokemon – Ash, Misty, Brock, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, Gijenka (humanoid) versions of Pokémon
- Power Rangers – Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/Black rangers
- Smash Bros – Mario, Samus, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers
- Soul Eater – Maka, Medusa, Crona, Tsubaki
- Star Wars – Rey, Kylo Ren, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, Stormtrooper
- Steven Universe – Steven, Pearl, Connie, Amethyst, Peridot
- Street Fighter – Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Cammy, Dhalsim
- The Legend of Zelda – Link, Zelda, Midna, Sheik, Majora
- Touhou – Reimu, Marisa, Cirno, Sakuya, Youmu
- Vocaloid – Miku, Kagamine, Rin
- Yu-Gi-Oh! – Yugi, Kaiba, Dark Magician Girl, Fujiki, Yuri
And there you have it; 50+ group cosplay ideas! If you’re looking for more info or inspiration, check out these other posts:
- Cosplay Group Tutorial (a complete guide on how to setup a cosplay group, whether you’re looking to just take pictures or start a dance group or gathering)
- Cosplay Ideas For Couples (you don’t have to wait until Valentine’s Day to get start on a cosplay idea for you and your significant other)
- 2020 Cosplay Ideas (no cons are happening, but these cosplays will still be popular on social for 2020)
What series do you want to cosplay with your group? Let me know in the comments!