Cosplay ideas for groups!
Whether you want to attend a convention with friends, or you’re looking to do a photoshoot with a bunch of people, cosplaying with a group is definitely a thing!
Are you looking for some cosplay ideas for groups? Are you just itching to cosplay with your friends? Can’t decide which series you guys should cosplay from? Well then, this article is for you.
In this post, I will show you 50+ cosplay ideas for groups you should try!
These ideas range from a variety of fandom, including Anime, video games, comics, cartoons, etc. So I’m sure you’ll find a series that you and your party will enjoy.
What makes a good series for group cosplay ideas?
Honestly, I could have just picked any random Anime or video game series and shoved it into this article. But I want to be a little pickier than that. In my humble opinion, here are my criteria on which series make the list:
i) Wide variety of characters from the series to choose from.
The only problem is those are the only characters generally worth cosplaying. With Madoka, you really only have Madoka, Homura and maybe Mami to cosplay. With Frozen…just Elsa and Anna…maybe Kristoff too. So these series would be disqualified due to the lack of variety of characters to cosplay. While it’s totally fine for you and your friends to cosplay the same character, I’m sure not all of you want to cosplay Elsa or Anna at the same time!
ii) “Somewhat” popular.
These cosplay ideas for groups don’t have to be super popular. But I’m sure it’ll be more fun (and rewarding) if attendees at the con or viewers on social media know who you guys are cosplaying. I get that some of you will want to do obscure group cosplay ideas and that’s okay too. However, the more known the series is, the easier it will be for you guys financially.
iii) Look great together!
Finally, I wanted to choose characters that would go well together in cosplay. Sports Anime and long-lasting video game franchises are wonderful for this.
With that out of the way, let’s get started on cosplay ideas for groups!
1. Love Live! (best dancing cosplay ideas for groups)
The BEST group cosplay ideas Anime! You probably saw this coming, but there’s a reason why Love Live! cosplay groups are so popular. Not only is the series wonderful and adorable, but the show has some of the most memorable songs and dances. Combine that with the easy and very affordable costumes, and you have your reason why Love Live! was a mainstay at cosplay conventions after all these years. It would have been popular at cons this year if not for the pandemic cancelling all of them.
If you and your friends decide to cosplay a Love Live! group, then you can save money by bulk ordering every outfit together. And if you want to learn more about starting your own cosplay dance group, check out this post.
2. Genshin Impact
Of all the cosplay ideas for groups on this list, Genshin Impact is probably the easiest one to find other people to cosplay with.
Does this series need any introduction? Maybe you already know about it, or you know someone who has already cosplayed from it.
But in case you need a reminder: Genshin Impact has taken over the gaming world by storm! This gacha game has generated over 3.7 billion in revenue. For a game that can be played for free, Genshin Impact has it all; beautiful world landscape (similar to Breath of the Wild), lots of Waifus and Husbandos, addicting gameplay and quite the immersive story and quests.
It helps that the character designs are so beautiful and amazing.
I have an entire article dedicated to Genshin Impact cosplay ideas (including new ones for 2022). So if you’re interested, click here to check out it out.
3. Final Fantasy
Arguably the most popular RPG series of all time, Final Fantasy is a great option for cosplay ideas for groups. Almost every character has a great-looking design. With 15 games in the series, you have over 3 decades of FF cosplays to choose from. My personal favorite is Final Fantasy X. You have awesome characters such as Tidus, Yuna, Rikku and Auron…who are great choices for cosplaying.
But by far the most popular will of course be Final Fantasy VII. The first part of the FF7 remake was released last April. So if a convention does happen this year (which probably won’t), you’ll get lots of love if you guys cosplay the FF7 favorites such as Cloud, Aeris and Tifa.
4. Sailor Moon (one of the easier cosplay ideas for groups)
Fighting evil by moonlight. Winning love by daylight.
Did you sing that line when you read it? 🙂
Sailor Moon is one of the most well-known Anime from the 90s. It’s also a great cosplay ideas for groups. Not only do you have a bunch of Sailor Moon characters to choose from, but they look amazing with each other. There’s nothing that catches attention than a group of Sailor Scouts together!
And a bonus is that they’re pretty easy to cosplay. So your group can all cosplay a different Sailor Scout. Or you can mix and match with different characters such as Tuxedo Mask and Queen Beryl. If you want easy cosplay ideas, check out this post here!
5. Fire Emblem (my favorite cosplay ideas for groups)
I do talk about Fire Emblem a lot on this blog, but for good reason (other than me loving the series). This series is wonderful for cosplaying in general, but even more so as a cosplay group. Not only do you have a variety of characters to choose from just one particular Fire Emblem game (such as Three Houses), but you also have custom outfit ideas like the summer editions of characters as well.
Some of the more popular Fire Emblem characters include: Lucina, Chrom, Marth, Ike, Tharja, Byleth and Edelgard. That’s just scratching the surface, so you’ll never run of cosplay ideas for couples when it comes to Fire Emblem!
6. Demon Slayer
Demon Slayer is one of the most popular Anime series right now. With awesome characters and story, it’s no surprise why Demon Slayer is doing so well in popularity. The characters and design are simply amazing, so I highly recommend cosplaying with your friends together for this series. Whether it’s Tanjiro and Nezuko, Shinobu and Kanae, or Giyu and Rengoku, or all of them: Demon Slayer is top tier when it comes to cosplay ideas for groups!
7. My Hero Academia
Boku No Hero has been the hottest Shonen Anime for the past few years; it’s got action and a whole cast of lovable characters from the UA School Academy. What this also means is you can make an awesome group with MHA cosplays. You can go for their casual school uniforms. Or you all can cosplay in their full jumpsuit/action suits!
For which MHA characters to cosplay, I have a post dedicated entirely to Boku No Hero characters!
8. Fullmetal Alchemist
Considered one of the greatest Anime of all time, Fullmetal Alchemist is almost 20 years old yet it’s still popular among us Weebs. There are some truly great characters to cosplay from FMA: the protagonists Ed and Al, their sidekicks and allies like Winry and Roy Mustang, antagonists like Lust and Envy. You can also all wear the State Military uniform and go more casual.
Naruto cosplays will always be a staple at cosplay conventions. It’s one of the most popular Shonens of all time, and there are so many memorable characters. You have a handful of cool-looking characters like Naruto, Sasuke, Rock Lee and Kakashi. So your group will have lots of flexibility if you decide to go for a Naruto group.
The Marvel Universe keeps on expanding with new films coming out every year! Therefore, you’ll never have to worry about people not knowing which characters you’re cosplaying from. The most obvious pick would be to choose Marvel characters from The Avengers, X-Men and Captain Marvel, as they are the most well-known at the moment. But you can always go for classic characters too. Check out my article regarding Marvel cosplay ideas!
Even more cosplay ideas for groups and various characters!
I don’t have photos for all of them but if you’d like to send them to me, I’d more than happy to feature you.
- Animal Crossing – Isabelle, Tom Nook, Mr. Resetti, Villager, Pascal
- Attack On Titan – Eren, Levi, Mikasa, Armin, Hange Zoe
- Azur Lane – Mikasa, Ping Hai, Enterprise, Yamashiro, Bismarck
- Black Butler – Sebastian, Ciel, Mey Rin, Grell, Alois
- Borderlands – Brick, Lilith, Mordecai, Roland, Mad Moxxi
- Candy girl ravers!
- Critical Role – Pike Trickfoot, Molly Mauk, Fjord, Caduceus, Ruby of the Sea
- Danganronpa – Kirigiri, Junko, Tokyo, Monokuma, Chiaki
- Digimon – Tai, Mimi, Sora, Takeru, Daisuke
- Disney princesses – Tiana, Belle, Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella
- Dragonball – Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, Android 17 and 18, Krillen
- Fairy Tail – Lucy, Natsu, Erza, Tenrou, Gray
- Fate – Rin, Saber, Nero, Gilgamesh, Archer
- Free! – Rin, Rei, Haruka, Gou, Hazuki
- Game of Thrones – Arya, Sansa, Daenerys, Jon Snow, Aegon
- Haikyuu – Kenma, Kageyama, Oikawa, Hinata
- Halo – Spartans, Master Chief, Cortana
- Harry Potter – Harry, Hermione, Voldemart, Professor Dumbledore, Snape
- Hetalia – Italy, Germany, UK, US, Hungary
- Homestuck – Rose, Rave, Gamzee, Karket, Aradia
- Inuyasha – Inuyasha, Kagome, Sango, Kikyo, Kohaku
- Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – Jotaro, Joseph, Dio, Jolyne, Josuke
- KDA – Ahri, Akali, Evelynn, Kai’sa
- Kakegurui – Yumeko, Runa, Midari, Kirari, Kaede
- Kill La Kill – Ryuko, Mako, Satsuki, Nonon, Houka
- Kingdom Hearts – Sora, Kairi, Riku, Aqua, Xemnas
- Kuruko No Baske – Hyuuga, Tetsuya, Taiga, Satoshi
- League of Legends – Jinx, Ashe, Ezreal, Miss Fortune, Lulu
- Mortal Kombat – Kano, Liu Kang, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya
- One Piece – Luffy, Nami, Roronoa, Nico, Ace
- Ouran Host Club – Kyoya, Tamaki, Haruhi, Renge (can use my old photo)
- Overwatch – Tracer, Dva, Mercy, Widowmaker, Soldier 76
- Persona – Joker/Protagonist, Ann, Makoto, Ruji, Futaba
- Pokemon – Ash, Misty, Brock, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, Gijenka (humanoid) versions of Pokémon
- Power Rangers – Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/Black rangers
- Smash Bros – Mario, Samus, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers
- Soul Eater – Maka, Medusa, Crona, Tsubaki
- Star Wars – Rey, Kylo Ren, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, Stormtrooper
- Steven Universe – Steven, Pearl, Connie, Amethyst, Peridot
- Street Fighter – Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Cammy, Dhalsim
- The Legend of Zelda – Link, Zelda, Midna, Sheik, Majora
- Touhou – Reimu, Marisa, Cirno, Sakuya, Youmu
- Vocaloid – Miku, Kagamine, Rin
- Yu-Gi-Oh! – Yugi, Kaiba, Dark Magician Girl, Fujiki, Yuri
And there you have it; 50+ group cosplay ideas! If you’re looking for more info or inspiration, check out these other posts:
- Cosplay Group Tutorial (a complete guide on how to setup a cosplay group, whether you’re looking to just take pictures or start a dance group or gathering)
- Cosplay Ideas For You – The Ultimate Guide (the best guide on finding cosplay ideas for you, based on your budget, appearance, your own personal preferences, etc)
- Cosplay Ideas For Couples (you don’t have to wait until Valentine’s Day to get start on a cosplay idea for you and your significant other)
- 2022 Cosplay Ideas (these cosplay ideas have been the most popular for 2022)
What series do you want to cosplay with your group? Let me know in the comments!
My name is Roger Senpai. I’m a cosplayer that’s been in the community for well over a decade now. I’ve traveled all over the world to Anime and Comic conventions and hosted my own cosplay events. Now I’m writing articles for new and experienced cosplayers like you to help inspire, save you money and improve your cosplays!