For the past decade or two, Anime and Manga have become more popular than ever.
And not just because of their great stories, but also because of their cute characters that have influenced many people, and it became a trend to cosplay or try to copy their looks.
We have gathered all the makeup information you need to get that Anime eye makeup, so here is a step-by-step guide.
How To Do An Anime Eye Makeup?
Expressing yourself through Anime-inspired makeup can be a delightful and imaginative experience. Anime eyes, in particular, are often distinguished by their bold lines, vivid colors, and exaggerated shapes.
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to help achieve this look:
Before you start, ensure you have all the necessary makeup items and tools:
- Bright eyeshadow palette
- Eyeliner (liquid or gel)
- Q-tips or makeup remover for cleanup
- White eyeliner pencil
- Optional: False eyelashes
- Eyelash glue (if using false lashes)
- Makeup brushes (angled, blending, and detail brushes)
- Cleanse your face and apply your usual foundation and concealer. Ensure your eyelids are free from oil or residue to help the makeup adhere better.
- Apply an eyeshadow primer to ensure the longevity of your eye makeup and to make the colors appear vibrant. This step also prevents creasing throughout the day.
- Use a light, neutral eyeshadow shade as a base on your eyelids. This provides a smooth canvas for the rest of your eye makeup.
- Opt for a slightly darker eyeshadow color and apply it to the crease of your eyelid. This adds depth and aids in blending the colors seamlessly.
- Apply a darker eyeshadow shade to the outer corner of your eye, forming a V shape. This enhances the Anime-style eye shape and introduces a touch of drama.
- Choose vibrant eyeshadow colors that align with the Anime character that inspires you. Apply these colors to the eyelid, focusing on the center to create a bold and eye-catching appearance.
- Using black eyeliner, craft a bold and defined line along your upper lash line. Extend the line slightly past the outer corner for a dramatic effect. Optionally, line your lower lash line.
- Use a white eyeliner pencil on your lower waterline to create the illusion of larger, more Anime-inspired eyes. Additionally, apply white eyeliner to accentuate and highlight the inner corners of your eyes.
- Coat your lashes with mascara to add volume and length. For an even more dramatic look, consider applying false eyelashes. Trim them to fit your eye shape and secure them with eyelash glue.
- Use a Q-tip or makeup remover to tidy up any smudges or uneven lines, providing your eye makeup with a polished finish.
- If you desire, add extra details such as small stars or symbols using a fine detail brush and colorful eyeshadow.
Remember, practice is key, so feel free to experiment with different colors and techniques until you achieve your desired Anime eye makeup look.
Here are tips and techniques to make your eyes appear larger and more Anime-like:
- Apply a white eyeliner pencil to your lower waterline. This technique creates the illusion of larger eyes, a common feature in Anime characters.
- Apply a white or light-toned eyeshadow or eyeliner to accentuate the inner corners of your eyes. This technique enhances eye brightness and introduces a hint of Anime-inspired luminosity.
- Extend your eyeliner slightly beyond the outer corners of your eyes. This will give your eyes the Anime eye shape.
- Opt for long, thick eyelashes, you can consider false lashes if you have thin or short eyelashes. This adds drama to your eyes and enhances the animated look.
- Apply a soft, smudged line or a light eyeshadow along your lower lash line. This creates a larger and more rounded eye appearance.
- Choose bright and bold eyeshadow colors, especially focusing on the center of your eyelids. This draws attention to the eyes and gives a vibrant, Anime-inspired appearance.
- If you’re comfortable, consider using eyelid tape or stickers to create a more pronounced double eyelid, a common Anime characteristic.
- Groom and shape your eyebrows to lift them slightly. This opens up the eye area and contributes to a more Anime-like expression.
- Instead of a winged liner, try rounding off the eyeliner at the outer corners. This can give a softer, more innocent look often seen in Anime characters.
- Anime characters often have large, colorful eyes. If you’re comfortable, try colored contact lenses to enhance the size and vibrancy of your eyes.
- Concentrate your eyeshadow and eyeliner application on the upper lid to draw attention upward, creating the appearance of larger eyes.
Coat your lower lashes with mascara to add definition and openness to the lower eye area.
Keep in mind, that the crucial aspect is to explore and discover what complements your distinctive features.
Blend these techniques harmoniously to attain an Anime-inspired appearance that’s still suitable for your style and preferences.
How to Prevent Creasing And Ensure Your Eye Makeup Stays in Place Throughout The Day?
To prevent creasing and ensure your eye makeup stays in place throughout the day, consider the following tips:
- You can start with a primer before applying your eyeshadow. It will create a smooth base, help the eyeshadow to look better and last longer, and prevent creasing.
- After applying eyeshadow, set it with a light dusting of translucent powder. This helps absorb excess oils minimizes creasing and makes it look smoother.
- Opt for long-wearing and waterproof eyeshadow and eyeliner formulas. These are less likely to smudge or crease, providing a longer-lasting look.
- Apply eyeshadow and eyeliner in thin layers. Building up the color gradually can reduce the chances of creasing.
- Steer clear of heavy creams or overly creamy eyeshadows, especially if you have oily eyelids. These can contribute to creasing throughout the day.
- If you have oily skin and eyelids, blot any excess oil before applying eyeshadow. This helps create a drier surface for a better makeup look.
- Finish your makeup with a setting spray. This not only sets your overall makeup but can also help keep your eyeshadow in place.
- In a pinch, if you don’t have an eye primer, you can use a small amount of concealer or foundation to create a base.
- Ensure that eyeshadows are blended well to avoid uneven textures that can lead to creasing.
- Invest in good-quality brushes for application. Quality brushes can help distribute products evenly and prevent clumping and any mistakes.
- Try to refrain from touching or rubbing your eyes throughout the day to prevent smudging them and messing them up.
Consider bringing a compact makeup kit for on-the-go touch-ups, particularly if you aim for an enduring look.
By integrating these suggestions into your eye makeup routine, you can effectively avoid creasing and uphold a lively and vibrant appearance all day long.
While white eyeliner is commonly used in Anime eye makeup to achieve specific effects, it’s not an absolute requirement.
White eyeliner serves various purposes in Anime-inspired looks, such as making the eyes appear larger, enhancing brightness, and adding a distinctive Anime-like sparkle.
If you’re aiming for an authentic Anime appearance, incorporating white eyeliner can be beneficial.
However, creativity knows no bounds, and you can experiment with different colors or skip the white eyeliner altogether if you prefer a more personalized or varied look.
Ultimately, choosing white eyeliner in your Anime eye makeup depends on your preferences, the specific style you’re aiming for, and your desired level of authenticity.
Feel free to explore and tailor the makeup to suit your unique vision and style.
Are There Specific Eyeliner Styles that Complement the Anime Aesthetic?
There are specific eyeliner styles that complement the Anime aesthetic and contribute to achieving the iconic Anime eye look.
Here are some popular eyeliner styles used in Anime-inspired makeup:
- A thick and bold line along the upper lash line is a common feature in Anime eyes. This style emphasizes the upper lid and creates a dramatic effect.
- Winged or cat-eye eyeliner is often adapted in Anime makeup. The wings can be elongated and sharp for a dynamic and expressive appearance.
- Characterized by a rounder and softer approach, the doll-eye liner style involves a more circular line around the eye, giving a cute and innocent look.
- Adding a second wing beneath the lower lash line is a unique Anime-inspired style that enhances the overall eye shape.
- Extending the lower eyeliner slightly past the outer corners of the eyes contributes to the elongated and animated appearance often seen in Anime characters.
- A subtle variation of the winged liner, the puppy liner style involves a shorter and slightly curved wing, creating a sweet and endearing look.
- Placing eyeliner slightly above the natural lash line, creating a floating effect, is a futuristic and avant-garde style sometimes seen in Anime-inspired makeup.
- Drawing a small teardrop shape below the lower lash line is a delicate and whimsical style that adds a touch of fantasy to the eyes.
- Graduating the eyeliner color from darker to lighter tones along the lash line adds dimension and depth, enhancing the Anime-like intensity.
- Experimenting with geometric shapes or lines around the eyes can give an edgy and futuristic Anime aesthetic.
The key to achieving the perfect Anime eyeliner style is experimentation and adapting these techniques to suit your preferences and the specific character or look you’re aiming for.
Feel free to mix and match styles to create a unique and captivating Anime eye makeup look.
Anime and Manga fever has taken the world by storm, inspiring not just a love for great stories but a whole trend of cosplaying and trying out those cute character looks.
Our step-by-step guide spills the beans on how to get those expressive and bold Anime eyes that steal the show.
From prepping your canvas to experimenting with eyeshadows and liners, we’ve got your back.
We’ve covered white eyeliner tricks, styles, and hacks to make your eyes pop with that Anime magic. Remember, it’s all about having fun and being yourself. So, grab your brushes, dive into the Anime eye universe, and let your eyes tell a story as enchanting as your favorite characters. Get ready to slay that Anime look!
My name is Roger Senpai. I’m a cosplayer that’s been in the community for well over a decade now. I’ve traveled all over the world to Anime and Comic conventions and hosted my own cosplay events. Now I’m writing articles for new and experienced cosplayers like you to help inspire, save you money and improve your cosplays!