It’s that time again; popular cosplay ideas for this year!
Man, what a year 2020 was. Almost every con was cancelled because of the pandemic…and who knows when they will be back. But in any case, whether we get conventions back this year though, we’ll still be cosplaying at home no matter what!
And with that said, I’m sure you’d like to know what’s going to be popular and trendy in terms of cosplay for 2021. It’s always fun finding the same characters to cosplay as others and not only does it help you socialize with people who are into the same series, it’s also more budget-friendly for your wallet as well.
In this post, I will discuss popular cosplay ideas for 2021. Here’s how we’ll do this:
- The definite picks cosplay picks for 2021 that will for sure be popular this year (you guys who follow my IG wanted me to start with the definite ones first, so I’m giving what you want!)
- My bold predictions that I have a good feeling will become viral and popular
- Characters or series that MIGHT be popular, but also the chance that they may not
- And for one character from each series (with a few exceptions), I will list all the materials and accessories you’ll need to make that particular cosplay!
Of course, it’s always difficult to predict with absolute certainty what people will be cosplaying as; memes always pop up out of the blue (e.g. Bowsette, Among Us) and various series can end up being popular all of a sudden (e.g. Demon Slayer, She-Ra).
With that out of the way, let’s get started!
DISCLAIMER: I have some affiliate links in this article if you’re looking to wear any of these cosplays. Either I myself have bought from those stores, or I believe they are fairly sweet deals. If you’re buying from these sites, you’re also supporting me and my hobby so I appreciate it!
1. Genshin Impact
Let’s start with the newest addition to this list that’s fairly obvious at this point.
Genshin Impact has taken over the gaming world by storm; this gacha game has generated nearly $400 million in revenue already. For a game that can be played for free, Genshin Impact has it all; beautiful world landscape (similar to Breath of the Wild), lots of Waifus and Husbandos, addicting gameplay and quite the immersive story and quests.
With so many unique characters to cosplay in this game, you can bet that Genshin Impact will be HUGE for popular cosplay ideas in 2021. It helps that the character designs are so awesome that we’re already seeing a bunch of Genshin Impact cosplays pop up. Give it a few more months and we’ll get to see some amazing cosplays from this game. If/when we are ever able to have conventions or social gatherings again, Genshin Impact will make for the perfect photoshoot for groups.
What you’ll need to cosplay Amber from Genshin Impact:
- Red coat, headband, details – you can thrift a cotton or polyester hoodie and alter to fit your body. Cut the shape to be similar to Amber’s M-shaped bangs to get the best effect.
- Brown wig – One of my favourite wig stores is Wig Supplier and you can find an Amber wig or just a generic brown wig.
- Belt and gloves – Dollar store gardening section all the way.
- Shirt – get a brown shirt and a white hurt and hack them together to make a brown and white shirt! Fabric paint the details.
- Gold embroidery – You can get puffy paint from your local craft store to achieve a raised effect and use craft foam for the base.
- Brown shorts – Thrift store is your best bet to find some class brown shorts. Look in the pants section too and you might be able to find a steal.
- Thigh-high boots – You need a cheap heel and some thigh-high socks. Cut a hole in the heel of a white thigh high sock and slip the heel though and you’ve got some DIY thigh-high boots.
- Goggles – Amazon has some dank aviator goggles!
Cosplay ideas for Genshin Impact
Where do I even begin? There are so many characters to cosplay
in this game that look fabulous and totally fun to cosplay!
If you’ve played this game, I’d say you should cosplay your favourite character if you can handle the difficulty. Pretty much every character has lots of specific detailing and embroidery with their clothing. So if you can pull it off yourself, you’re gonna look AMAZING.
But with that said, you can always do a casual version. For example, you can cosplay Kaeya and Diluc casually by wearing a blue or red wig and a dress shirt. Most Genshin players would recognize you, as both of those characters are really popular!
Other favourites are Amber, Lisa, Sucrose, Fischl, Venti, Mona and Bennett. Definitely the most recognizable would be Paimon, your fairy-sized travel companion/emergency food!
If you’re looking to get started on a Genshin Impact cosplay and jump on the hype, check out these costumes on RoleCosplay! This Paimon one is awesome. 🙂
2. My Hero Academia
What’s there to be said about My Hero Academia (MHA) that hasn’t been said already?
This top Shonen Anime has been superhot for the past few years and 2021 will be no exception. MHA characters have wonderful designs and the Anime is highly acclaimed. All these things will ensure that MHA characters will remain a popular series to cosplay for a long time.
What you’ll need to cosplay Camie from MHA:
- Black bodysuit – A full bodysuit can be purchased online on eBay or at any Halloween/theatre store.
- Black hat – These kinds of police hats are super easy to find during Halloween season, so go early and stock up! Use a red ribbon (or rope) to add the detail and craft-foam for the emblem.
- Wig – When you’re saving on the costume, it’s very important to be careful of the details. That’s why I will always recommend Arda Wigs for all my wig needs. Arda’s fibre blends look so realistic and they even have lace fronts!
Cosplay Ideas for My Hero Academia
The nice thing about MHA is that despite having a ton of characters to cosplay, they’re all unique in their own way with their “quirks.” And in terms of cosplay, every character is so cool-looking!
The main characters like Deku, Bakugo, All Might, Ochaco and Todoroki will always be a great choice. During season 4 last year, new characters like Camie were highly popular cosplay choices. Season 5 is coming out in 2021, so be on the lookout for new characters. (NOTE: you can always read the manga to skip ahead, but all I will say is…be ready for a shock).
Since MHA is probably the biggest Shonen Anime right now, online cosplay stores are mass-producing costumes from the series. So it’ll be relatively cheap to buy one off those sites.
3. League of Legends (or K/DA to be exact)
Ever since the first K/DA music video Pop Stars was released, the League of Legends world was never the same. Now you see cosplays Ahri, Akali, Evelynn and Kai’Sa all the time! And that’s definitely not going to change in 2021, especially with the newest KD/A videos More and Baddest.
In addition to K/DA, Riot Games continues to release new music videos and skins for other League characters. So not only will this game be relevant into the 2020s, so will the cosplays.
What you’ll need to cosplay Evelynn K/DA from League of Legends:
- Black Trench Coat – If you’re looking for a closet cosplay, Evelynn might be something you and a few friends could put together by combining your wardrobes. The black trench coat is a closet staple, and if you don’t have one, I guarantee your local Goodwill or Value Village will.
- Necklace – This necklace charm is super easy to make. All you need to do is loop a length of ribbon into an old earring. You can also find lots of similar charms at the craft store, corner store, or Ardene’s.
- Earring – Evelynn’s earrings here are just small hoops, which you can find online for about $2 on eBay. These are also in the bargain section at Claire’s or Ardene’s.
- Belt – A common black belt can be purchased at any corner store.
- Wig – Evelynn’s cat ear hair is what gives her the iconic look in this K/DA version. I would recommend buying some strong hair spray and set aside an hour or so to twirl the hair in the same way.
- Glasses – Glasses are a challenge to craft. The best hack for glasses is to find some similar frames and tint the lenses with see-through acrylic sheets such as soft binders, or photography gels.
- Claws – Honestly, paper is the tried-and-true method for the most comfortable claws. You can also do foam for a longer effect. Paint with silver acrylic or Rub n Buff.
Cosplay ideas for League of Legends
K/DA is obviously the first option. The Pop Stars outfit has been so popular for a while now, so you can definitely snag an outfit for very cheap now, like this Kai’Sa outfit.
If you’re looking for their newer outfits from Baddest or More, you still don’t have to break the bank either. RoleCosplay has an amazing deal for Ahri; only $10 for her Baddest outfit!
By far the K/DA crew is the hottest League cosplays at the moment, but you don’t have to go the mainstream route; there are several champions to choose from. League has tons of cool-looking characters to cosplay such as Jinx, Ashe and Ezreal. And there are a variety of looks to choose from; either you can cosplay the looks that the characters sported when the game first came out, or you can go for the more recent looks like the Spirit Blossom.
There have been so many Fate spinoffs for several years! Not to mention the mobile game, Fate/Grand Order. This shows how popular the series has been with fans. Not to mention there was a Fate tour at various Anime conventions in 2019 before the pandemic hit. So you can bet that many will be cosplaying from Fate.
What you’ll need to cosplay Scáthach from F/GO:
- Maid costume – Amazon, eBay, or any regular costume site are your best bet. If you have cosplay friends, chances are that they already have a maid costume lying around. Reuse when you can.
- Heels – These black pumps can be found in any corner of the world. Head to your local shoe store for a relatively inexpensive option.
- Thigh-highs – You can find lacy thigh highs with any maid lingerie set online, or you can buy them separately from underwear stores such as La Senza.
- Wig – Search for a dusty rose colour or brown wig if you can’t find a specific Scáthach costume.
- Purple gloves – this one is going to be a little bit difficult to find. One thing you can do is find some two way stretch spandex and create the gloves and matching ruffles.
- Plate – just grab one from your kitchen!
Cosplay Ideas for Fate
There are several characters to cosplay from Fate you could cosplay. You could go for the favorites such as Saber, Rin or Archer. The mobile game, Fate/Grand Order, has spawned tons of different cosplays such as Scathach and Shielder. I suggest picking a character that either suits your personality or whether you like the character design. For example, if you want to be a nice lady knight, then Saber is perfect for you. Or if you rather be a character that’s simple to do, the cold-hearted Rin Tohsaka would be a great choice.
5. Fire Emblem
It’s been almost a couple of years since the last game, Fire Emblem: Three Houses was released. But the Fire Emblem hype hasn’t died down ever since. There were so many amazing 3H cosplays in 2020 like Byleth, Hilda, Rhea, Edelgard, etc.
The lack of cosplay conventions has slowed down the Fire Emblem hype just a little; we’re so used to seeing those amazing Fire Emblem group photoshoots. Sadly, that wasn’t really a thing in 2020 (except for Katsucon). But we still get to enjoy seeing them online.
When conventions return, Fire Emblem is a great series that will help you socialize and interact with cosplayers!
What you’ll need to cosplay Mercedes from Fire Emblem: Three Houses:
- White dress shirt – Hopefully you already have one of these lying around!
- Shawl – Find a white fleece scarf and add fleece trim to the edges. It’s very important to do all of the details in fleece or embroidery to ensure that the material flows well and makes sense with the overall fit.
- Black skirt – If you’re looking for accuracy, you might want to make a large circle skirt from a thick material. However, you might be able to find a long maxi skirt in the same colour. You can add some horsehair braid to the end to help the skirt stay flouncy and sharp. Don’t forget to wear a petticoat to achieve the cupcake shape.
- Blue tights – I struggled with opaque tights for a long time but I finally discovered the Hue line that has tights in all the colours of the rainbow. Try Hue for quick shipping and hassle-free customer service.
- Brown Shoes – these brown lace-up booties can be found at Brown’s or Aldo’s.
Cosplay Ideas for Fire Emblem
There are so many Fire Emblem characters to choose from, so you have plenty of options.
You can opt for classic characters like Marth, Celica or Tiki. Or you can go for newer characters like Chrom, Lucina, Tharja or Robin. The newest game, Three Houses, has some pretty cool characters such as Edelgard and of course Byleth. 🙂
Fire Emblem cosplays tend to be more on the mid-range to high-end in terms of cosplays costs. Many characters have fine detailing and intricate design with their outfits, as well as embroidery and armor to help their costume stand out. Not to mention that many of them carry cool-looking weapons such as swords and staves. So unless you’re going for a low budget or “beach/summer” version of a character, be prepared to fork out a bit more money to either buy or create a Fire Emblem cosplay.
6. Love Live!
Can you believe that Love Live! is over half a decade old? Yet the series is still the classic idol Anime series that’s going to stay on top for a very long time. And who doesn’t love idol groups? Everyone seems to be starting or continuing idol groups based on Love Live! So unless a new series comes out that’s just as good as Love Live! it’s going to stick around for years to come.
The easiest way to obtain this costume is to find one second hand or from Taobao. Love Live! Season 1, which was popular back in 2012-2014, was so popular that so many cosplay stores made their own rendition of it. However, if purchasing online is not an option, you can find the following items and put it together yourself.
Cosplay ideas for Love Live!
You don’t need any cosplay ideas for Love Live! because there are so many outfits and variations for every character and they’ll always be adored by many. Fortunately, Love Live! cosplays tend to be on the cheaper side. You can buy the basic outfit for dirt cheap under $30 USD. However, some of the dresses (e.g. Arabian dancer) will be more expensive. So while you might pay more for some Love Live! costumes, all of them are still in the low and middle-end of cosplay pricing.
Now that we know what’s definitely going to be popular cosplay ideas for 2021, let’s move onto my bold predictions for what else will be hot this year. There’s no guarantee that these cosplays will be popular, but I have a good feeling they will be. 🙂
Now before you go off and say, “Senpai what the **** is Anonymous;Code?!” Here me out. 🙂
Anonymous;Code is a visual novel video game that’s coming out later this year. It’s your typical apocalyptic story where the world is in grave danger of annihilation due to a computer glitch. You, the main character, are a hacker that tries to stop this from happening.
Based on some of the early photos I’ve seen of this game, Anonymous;Code has the recipe to become a hit in the cosplay community: cool-looking characters and an even more intriguing story. The art style and story reminds me of Persona and Shin Megami Tensei. As long as the game doesn’t end up being delayed, this series could be popular in the cosplay scene in 2021!
Cosplay ideas for Anonymous;Code
Isn’t it crazy how you can have cosplay ideas for a game that hasn’t even been released yet? What a time we live in!
Right now I see three characters worth doing:
- Pollon Takaoka: The main character of the game, he’s a biker with green hair and wears a yellow sweater.
- Momo Aizaki: A cute but mysterious girl who wears a pink Onesie.
- Cross Yumikawa: Pollon’s best friend, he’s a dude with jet black hair and wears a blue cardigan.
EZCosplay already has costumes you can pre-order! Or if you rather save a few extra bucks, you can hit the thrift store to get some of these items on your own.
8. Space Jam
I *might* be a little biased here, since I loved the original movie back in the 90s (it’s what got me into basketball and the NBA). But we FINALLY get to see a sequel to Space Jam. For those who don’t know, Space Jam is a crossover between Looney Tunes characters and real NBA players. The first movie starred Michael Jordan. This one will feature LeBron James.
We’ve seen a bunch of Lola Bunny cosplays over the years. With the new film coming out in 2021, I have a good feeling that Space Jam 2 will be hyped with a lot of fans. We’ll start seeing more Lola and Bugs Bunny cosplays again, and if there are new characters to cosplay in the movie, we’ll definitely see those as well!
What you’ll need to cosplay Lola Bunny from Space Jam:
- Blonde wig – Any wig store will do!
- Matching set – You can find Lola Bunny’s full costume on Amazon!
- Lashes – Visit Sephora or your chosen beauty supply store to find something dramatic.
- White gloves – the gardening section at your local Wal-Mart or Home Depot will have them.
9. Cyberpunk 2077
I was expecting Cyberpunk 2077 to gain a lot of hype in the later part of 2020. But because of the pandemic and the gazillion delays with this game, that never happened. Cyberpunk 2077 was finally released in December, so only now should we start seeing the hype for this game that will infiltrate the cosplay scene.
The game was developed by CD Projekt, the same studio that created The Witcher 3 – one of the greatest games ever. And who can forget that iconic reveal of Keanu Reeves at E3 2019?
Cosplay Ideas for Cyberpunk 2077
The whole gimmick of Cyberpunk 2077 is customizing your character with whatever features you want, because you are an artificial being after all. So that leaves a lot of flexibility in how you want to dress up as. There is V, the main character humanoid. Also, don’t forget about Johnny Silverhand, aka Keanu Reeves!
This is an Anime that’s been getting quite a bit of attention. It’s an interesting series to say the least; the story takes place in an anthropomorphic world where herbivores and carnivores live together. The main character is Legoshi, a high school student who is surprisingly timid and shy considering he’s a wolf! One day at the school, Tem the alpaca is eaten by a predatory animal, which sets the tension between the herbivores and carnivores at the school.
I feel Beastars is gonna be popular in the cosplay world in 2021! Especially with the 2nd season being released this year!
What you’ll need to cosplay Haru from Beastars:
- White wig and bunny ears – Haru is a character that might not be as common, so you don’t need to find a specific wig style. Since Haru technically doesn’t have any hair, you can be as creative as you want with the length and the ears.
- White dress – You can find a white dress you like and add the sailor collar yourself! There are tons of tutorials online on how to make a sailor collar, and this ensures that you will get more wear out of your costume. Pin the collar on your dress so you can remove it when the convention is over.
Cosplay ideas for Beastars
Despite the characters in Beastars being animals, most of them are dressed up in student clothing. So all you have to do is wear a school outfit and maybe a special animal head (depending on which characters you do). A mix of casual clothing and a bit of furry!
As for characters, you can opt for Legoshi, the main character. Haru the rabbit is another great choice; for a small bunny, she is quite bold and fierce! Louis the deer is another option as well.
11. Azur Lane
Azur Lane is a popular mobile game that’s been out for a few years now. And people love cosplaying from this series, especially in Asia! Who doesn’t love cute sailor outfits? No wonder why Azur Lane is a great choice for cosplay! And there’s a new Anime season for Azur Lane coming in 2021, so I have a good feeling there will be much cosplay hype for this series.
As for which characters to cosplay, there are over 400 characters in Azur Lane! Many of them personify historic battleships from World Wars. Some great characters worth cosplaying include Atago, Gangt, Perseus, Kashino, Takao, Rinoa and Enterprise!
What you’ll need:
- White qipao – This dress is going to be the hardest piece to track down locally but a quick search online shows that there are lots of options. Etsy is a good place to check if you are looking for a super accurate, one-of-a-kind handmade cosplay.
- Hair buns – Cut and hem the edges of a fabric square to make a handkerchief and run an elastic in a circle to create the bun shape.
- Wrist cuffs – Any kind of brown or black lace would work to imitate the delicate cuffs shown here. You can purchase lace by the yard at a fabric store or use trims.
- Blue wig – Amazon is a great place to find wigs of any colour and length.
12. Cells At Work
This cute little Anime is getting a second season in 2021! When it was first released in 2018, there were a lot of cosplays from the show at conventions. I feel with the second season on the horizon, the hype for Cells At Work will only continue.
What you’ll need to cosplay Cells at Work:
- Killer T Cell – Probably the simplest costume you could possibly want to do! Grab your friends and be a whole bunch of Killer T Cells by purchasing the same black dress shirt, pants, and baseball cap. You can add large fleece letters to the cap and fabric glue it down to ensure it stays in place.
- Platelet – There are three main parts to the perfect Platelet cosplay: a white baseball cap, an oversized Gildan (or Fruit of the Loom, we do not judge) tee shirt, and a yellow side bag. The yellow side bag can be made from a bedsheets.
Cosplay ideas for Cells At Work
Even though the characters are actually humanoid versions of body cells, the clothes they wear are pretty casual. So no need to shell out a ton of money for a special costume or materials. You can opt for the main characters like White Blood Cell or Red Blood Cell. Or go for other characters like Killer T Cell or Helper T Cell.
13. Final Fantasy VII
With the first episode of the Final Fantasy VII Remake released last year, the series became popular in the cosplay world. On top of that, Sephiroth is now in Smash Bros Ultimate, so even more FF7 hype!
Even though the 2nd part of the remake isn’t going to be released for a while, I still think Final Fantasy VII is gonna be a popular cosplay for 2021!
What you’ll need to cosplay Tifa:
- Tank top – A white tank top can be easily purchased almost anywhere – just trim it to your desired length. For a battle damaged version, make sexy cuts.
- Harness – Customize a pair of suspenders with craft foam pieces to imitate Tifa’s style. Depending on the version, some reference photos of her have more fancy suspenders than others.
- Skirt – If you can’t find a skirt at the correct length, crop a full length skirt to your liking. Sometimes, cosplayers choose to alter costumes in a way that makes them more comfortable. You don’t need to have the exact length of skirt to cosplay Tifa, but if you want to, all the more power to you!
- Black wig – A black wig is a staple in any cosplayer’s wardrobe. You can grab one from Amazon, or a quality wig from Arda.
- Arm guards – Matching the colour of the gloves and the arm guards will be difficult with paint, so I suggest finding red pleather and making everything from scratch. You can find a simple glove pattern online. Then add the gauntlet bits with 5mm craft foam and cover with your red pleather.
Cosplay ideas for FF7
Final Fantasy VII has so many memorable characters that you have lots to choose from. The most notable ones will definitely be Cloud, Tifa, Aeris and Sephiroth. They’ve already gotten a new look in the remake/Smash Bros, so it makes sense to cosplay them. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do the other memorable characters like Yuffie or Barret.
14. Attack On Titan
When Attack on Titan first came out in 2013-2014, it took the Anime world by storm and became so popular with cosplay groups, especially those who were just starting out. Those cool-looking outfits worked really well together as a group.
Over the years the cosplay hype has slowed down. But 2021 will be the final season of Attack on Titan, so there’s a lot of anticipation in the fandom. So I am betting that Attack on Titan cosplays will be huge this year!
For this entire cosplay, I highly recommend just purchasing one from Taobao to save yourself the anguish of measuring and putting on 300 belts. Also, Attack on Titan is so popular that Season 4 has just finished, which means there is an adequate demand for costume makers to make versions of this costume. If you insist on putting together your own version, you can actually purchase Attack on Titan embroidered patches. Add a pair of white jeans and a cropped brown suit jacket, and you’ve got yourself your own unique Survey Corps uniform. Not bad for some great cosplay ideas! 🙂
Cosplay ideas for Attack on Titan
While many of the characters wear similar outfits, each one has a slightly different style. There are a variety of characters, including Eren, Levi, Mikasa, Hange, Armin and more. And you can also cosplay the Titan demons as well; you can either wear a bodysuit or go all out with body makeup!
Now that we’ve gone through what will definitely be popular and some of the wild guesses/bold predictions, let’s go through some series I feel that could be popular but not entirely certain. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t cosplay them…just don’t expect much hype around them in 2021.
15. Avatar: The Last Airbender
Avatar: The Legend of Korra stopped airing a few years back, and the series hasn’t seen a new film or television series in a long time.
But despite that, I’m seeing a LOT of renewed interest in Avatar. There’s recently been a bunch of cool Avatar cosplays like Asami, Katara, Toph, Azula and Aang! So I will go out and boldly predict that Avatar cosplays will be hyped in 2021, despite no new series coming out. And who can blame cosplayers for wanting to cosplay from Avatar again? It’s one of the best cartoons out there!
What you’ll need to cosplay Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender:
- Tunic – Katara’s tunic design is simple enough to make from scratch. Buy about 1.5y of blue fabric and 0.5y of white fabric and trace a comfortable t-shirt to make a pattern. Topstitch the white patterns.
- Pants – If you don’t have navy leggings sitting in your closet, you can easily make your own pants with about a yard of fabric and some elastic for the waist band. It should take you about an hour.
- Socks and Gloves – A trip to your local Dollar store and you should find something that matches the picture here.
16. The Rising of the Shield Hero
I’m a huge fan of Shield Hero, so much that I decided to cosplay Naofumi myself! While Shield Hero cosplays aren’t as common as say KD/A, the series got a lot of hype from the first season.
I’m putting Shield Hero as a maybe because we don’t know if the second season is coming out in 2021 yet. If it does, then we’re gonna see a lot of Shield Hero cosplays, which is a good thing. 🙂 If not then, then we’ll have to wait.
Still, if you’re looking to cosplay from the series then Naofumi, Raphtalia or Filo are your best options. You can also do Melty or the b****…I mean Malty!
What you’ll need to cosplay Raphtalia from Shield Hero:
- Armor – Unfortunately, making the armour is going to be all custom work. Use EVA foam, Worbla, or basic floor mats to create the base. Add the raised detailing with craft foam or foam clay. Remember to prime your foam before you paint to ensure that the paint adheres properly. Add battle damage with a darker colour and drybrush on for a more realistic effect.
- Leather boots – You can find these anywhere!
- Dress and sleeves– I would make Raphtalia’s sleeves separately from her dress and attached them with ties to her armour. You can repurpose a striped dress shirt and gather fabric at the cuffs to make that balloon silhouette.
- Wig and ears – Making ears from scratch is very tricky and there’s no harm in purchasing a pair from an artist! I recommend searching up “furmimi”,”petplay ears”, “realistic cat ears” and frequenting the furry forums to get a pair. These ears can cost from $50 up to $200 after shipping depending on design so you may need to budget.
17. Demon Slayer
Demon Slayer was released back in 2019, becoming insanely popular in a short amount of time. We saw tons of Nezuko cosplayers running around at conventions before the pandemic hit.
However, this year may be the year that the Demon Slayer cosplay hype will die down. Unless a second season is announced for 2021, the Demon Slayer hype train could come to a stop this year.
That being said, that shouldn’t stop you from cosplaying from the series! I personally haven’t watched it (yet), but it’s been getting rave reviews and apparently it’s a damn awesome Anime. Tanjiro and Nezuko are lovable characters! And who doesn’t enjoy seeing demons getting their ass kicked?
What you’ll need to cosplay Nezuko from Demon Slayer:
- Yukata – Nezuko’s yukata is popular enough that you can purchase it online from MicCostumes, Amazon, or Aliexpress. I don’t recommend sewing one from scratch unless you really want to.
- Bamboo muzzle – Many cosplays will come with this prop. However, if you want to upgrade, you can create a prop muzzle from craft foam or PVC pipes. Remember that anything going in your mouth should be sanitary – don’t eat paint! Make sure you seal your paint.
- Shoes – Search for geta and geta socks.
Overwatch is one of the hottest multiplayer games out there. Why? Because the game is easy to learn (although difficult to master), the characters are interesting and the competitive eSports scene keeps this game relevant.
But while Overwatch has maintained a permanent cosplay presence at conventions for a few years now, it feels like the cosplay hype for this game is starting to whittle down, especially during 2020. Maybe we’ve seen so many awesome Overwatch cosplays, that there really isn’t anything new to experiment with. Or the game itself hasn’t changed much recently.
Overwatch 2 needs to be released in order to maintain the hype for this game. But knowing Blizzard, that’s probably not going to happen in 2021. So Overwatch is a huge maybe for 2021.
Still, there are lots of cool-looking characters to cosplay and unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you’ve already seen a bunch of them at various conventions. If you’re looking for someone easy to do, D.va and Soldier 76 are good choices. If you want to cosplay someone more challenging, then try characters like Mercy and Lucio. Blizzard occasionally releases skins and updates for characters, so keep an eye on those for new Overwatch cosplay ideas.
19. Suicide Squad
Harley Quinn is a cosplay that’s been way overdone, but at least she has a different outfit for each new film. The Birds Of Prey costume was fabulous!
The reason why I have Suicide Squad as a maybe for 2021 is because the past couple of films have been lackluster in terms of ratings. Suicide Squad back in 2016 wasn’t well-received. Birds Of Prey was pretty much the same lukewarm reception.
So basically, the 2021 edition of Suicide Squad needs to be a damn good movie in order to see some cosplay hype!
What you’ll need to cosplay Harley Quinn:
- Bodysuit – Hot Topic is your friend, and honestly the quality of their products is actually not terrible. If you’re in a rush to get the latest Harley Quinn costume, you can always count on Hot Topic to have a rendition of her outfit.
- Tights – If you can’t find a red and black fishnet stocking, you might be able to make your own by hacking two together.
- Wig – Amazon or Aliexpress.
- Mask – a very simple mask can be made from craft foam and elastic. You can also find these premade in the Halloween section.
- Gun – Repaint a plastic toy to suit Harley’s colour scheme.
20. Among Us
The interesting thing is that Among Us was released back in 2018. It’s a fun multiplayer party game created by indie developers. Due to the nature of the pandemic, as well as a few famous Twitch gamers showcasing the game, Among Us became viral and meme-worthy in 2020. And we even saw quite a few cosplays from the game already!
I expect Among Us to be popular even by the end of 2021. Hopefully I’m not wrong because I love to see small indie developers become super successful!
What you’ll need to cosplay Among Us:
- Space Suit – Get a jumpsuit, coverall, or two piece athletic set and decorate with patches as you wish.
- Wig and makeup – Optional in this case. You can choose a shade that makes sense for your character and style in any way you like. Be creative with this one!
- Helmet – You can purchase a helmet from Party City or any other costume store. Paint to be the sus character of your choice. You can make one from scratch using found materials such as cardboard.
- Knife (optional) – If you’re going to a gathering of any sort, do not bring a real knife. However, if you’re just taking some photos in the comfort and safety of your home, it is alright to use a real knife. Please be respectful.
21. RE: Zero
In 2019, I thought RE: Zero cosplays would make a resurgence with a second season on the horizon. That didn’t quite happen. But with the second part coming out in 2021, maybe that will change? Who doesn’t love RE: Zero?!
In any case if you want to cosplay from RE: Zero,you can always opt for the fan favourite character, Rem, as her outfit is awesome and she herself is a well-known character. You can also cosplay her sister Ram if you want to change things up. Emilia and Beatrice are other good options. And while Subaru isn’t as common or as popular as the other RE: Zero characters, he is another option as well.
What you’ll need to cosplay Emilia from RE: Zero:
- Dress – Since the design of this dress is quite complicated, I suggest purchasing this instead. There are so many elements to her dress – the coattails, the custom sleeves, fitted bodice, and collar. Making each part would require careful tailoring and many, many measurements.
- Wig – It should be fairly easy to find an Emilia wig online. Try to find something that will compliment your skin tone (e.g. light silver wig instead of a pure white wig). Trim her bangs by pointing the scissors up to create a feathered and see-through look.
- Ears – Elf ears can be purchased for $3-10 depending on where you look. If you were lucky enough to snag one during Halloween, you can reuse them for this costume.
- Socks – Although it’s very difficult to find thigh high shoes, you can find thigh high socks much more easily and make boot covers to mimic the look. Begin by tracing the shape of your leg over some food wrap and duct tape. Lay out the pattern and select a two way stretch fabric for the best results.
To sum it all up, here are the 21 cosplays ideas that will be popular in 2021:
- Genshin Impact
- My Hero Academia
- League of Legends (or K/DA to be exact)
- Fire Emblem
- Love Live!
- Space Jam
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Azur Lane
- Cells At Work
- Final Fantasy VII
- Attack On Titan
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- The Rising of the Shield Hero
- Demon Slayer
- Suicide Squad
- Among Us
- RE: Zero
And there you have it; 21 popular cosplay ideas for 2021. I’m really excited for the cosplay season and look forward to seeing what you guys will be cosplaying at the cons!
Which cosplays you think will be popular this year? Do you agree with my picks? Let me know in the comments!