How do cosplay wigs last?
Despite cosplay wigs being significantly cheaper than cosplays, they can still add up in price. A high-quality wig can be around $25 USD or more, with the longer and more elaborate wigs stretching to over $50 USD. And if you’re wearing a bunch of different cosplays at the same time, you’ll be needing to buy a bunch of wigs.
So chances are, you want these wigs to last as long as possible! What are some ways to make cosplay wigs last longer? Let’s find out! But first…
How long do cosplay wigs last?
Cosplay wigs can last several years if you take good care of them. A lot of factors come into play, including the quality of the wig, the amount of maintenance you put into the wig over time and how you store and keep your wigs.
In this guide, I’ll give you 5 ways on how to make your cosplay wigs last longer. By doing these techniques, you’ll be using your wigs for a long time and you’ll save a lot of money reusing them.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
1. How to wash and care for your cosplay wig.
One of the best things you can do to extend the life of your cosplay wig; washing them properly. By washing them, drying them and storing them afterwards, you can keep your wigs in the best shape possible.
I know, I’m guilty of leaving all that gel and hairspray on my wigs for months on end, because I’m too lazy to re-style them. But all those chemicals probably do eat away at the fabric of the wig. So if you want your wigs to last a long time, then it’s probably best you give them a good wash, like you would washing your own hair!
But are there differences between washing a cosplay wig? Yes and no. You definitely want to be gentle with your cosplay wigs when washing them.
When it comes to the shampoo, try use to use something soft like baby shampoo. The gentler the shampoo, the better.
2. Be careful when the cosplay wig is wet!
And when you soak the cosplay wig in the bowl/basin/sink, do not be abrasive with them like you would with your own hair. Cosplay wigs are actually pretty fragile, especially when they’re wet. So do not try to use a hair dryer to dry your wig when it’s wet; you could ruin the wig!
The wig may look like a hot mess when it’s all wet and washed but don’t worry; the wig will look just fine when you dry it out.
Once the wig is all clean and dry, you can store and put it away. Click here for a full guide on how to restore a cosplay wig.
Which leads us to the next section…
3. Storing your cosplay wigs properly to make them last.
Don’t just throw your wig into a random bag after you’re done wearing it! You need to store them properly not only to keep them from wrinkling, but to also extend their life.
To me, there are 2-3 main methods to store and place your wigs:
- On a mannequin head. This is my favorite method for holding onto the wigs. A mannequin head will keep the shape and style of your wig indefinitely. And it’s great if you plan on using your wigs at a convention; you can bring the mannequin head with you to the hotel, and keep the safely stored on top.
- On a mannequin stand. I personally don’t have a mannequin stand, because most of the characters I cosplay don’t have really long hair. But if they did, this is a great way to hold onto those wigs for characters with long hair, such as Ariel from The Little Mermaid and Jinx from League of Legends. Not only that, mannequin stands make it convenient to easily style the wig!
- In a sealable bag. If you’re tight on space, then the next best thing is by putting your cosplay wigs in a sealable plastic bag. This will ensure no dust gets into the wig and keeps it in good condition. This option is really easy if your wig is short and doesn’t have any special styling. But you can also use a sealable bag for long wigs as well. I would recommend French braiding the long wig to keep it nice and tidy.
4. Keep your cosplay wigs out of the sunlight.
While heat on its own will not deteriorate a cosplay wig (they can withstand a high temperature), keeping them out in the sunlight will. That’s because the sunlight will degrade the the fiber of the wigs. So while it’s okay to keep them in the room, keep them away from the windows where sunlight will be.
5. Buying high-quality wigs
The easiest way to have your cosplay wigs last a long time is by simply buying high-quality wigs in the first place. Although it’s tempting to save money and buying those cheap cosplay wigs off certain sites, they probably will not last you long. Go for websites that sell high-quality wigs such as Arda. From my experience, you can FEEL the difference in cosplay wig quality!
PS if you’re looking for the best cosplay wig sites, check out my list here.
To summarize, here are the 5 ways on how to make your cosplay wigs last longer:
- Washing and caring for your wig.
- Being careful when the cosplay wig is wet.
- Storing your cosplay wigs properly to make them last.
- Keeping them out of sunlight.
- Buying high-quality wigs
And there you have it; a complete guide to answering the question on how long do cosplay wigs last! I hope you found this post useful!
If you want a complete guide on cosplay wigs, click here for my guide.
How long have your cosplay wigs have lasted? Let me know in the comments below!
My name is Roger Senpai. I’m a cosplayer that’s been in the community for well over a decade now. I’ve traveled all over the world to Anime and Comic conventions and hosted my own cosplay events. Now I’m writing articles for new and experienced cosplayers like you to help inspire, save you money and improve your cosplays!